Grandma Gertie always said there's not a savory dish that can't be made tastier by just a touch of tarragon.

Tsunami and Me

Tsunami and Me
too big to escape now....

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Keeping My Sunny Side Up

With son Steve, California, July, 2014

It's taking longer than I'd hoped...to sell my house in northeast Washington and get moved before the first snow falls. To bolster my sometimes sagging spirits last week I bought a bathing suit. I might not be jumping into that heated pool to participate in water aerobics any time soon, but I'll be prepared when it does happen. Plus I saved a bundle on an end-of-season sale.

Each day I remind myself that sinking into despair never helps. Things unfold in due time, as they need to do, and I can't always control outcomes. I've found a place I really like, and hope eventually to get there. It just might not be next month or the month after.

In the meantime, I'm counting my blessings. I've found a seniors complex I'm hoping to move to. I have a little more time to sort through boxes and books, and decide what to give away, what to list on eBay and what to take. And I plan to take as little as possible. One way to reboot my life is by ridding myself of encumbrances, which is how I've grown to view many of the objects around me.

Speaking of rebooting, my story, "A Happy Heart," will appear in September in Chicken Soup for the Soul: Reboot Your Life. I'm eager to receive my contributor's copies, because right now I'm in need of continuing inspiration about moving ahead with life's journey. In the meantime, I'm keeping my sunny side up. Remember this song? You might have heard it if you saw the film Paper Moon. It dates back to the big crash of 1929...and though it's not The Great Depression these days, the lyrics resonate with me. 

Here's Judy Garland singing "Keep Your Sunny Side Up."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dv0hbLwvvpw

There's one thing to think of when you're blue,
There are others around much worse off than you!
If a load of troubles should arrive,
Laugh and say, "It's great to be alive!";

Life can be a pleasure or a pain,
Good or bad, successful or in vain;
Happiness is just a point of view,
If you have it here's the thing to do;

Keep your sunny side up, up,
Drown a frown with a smile.
If you think it's raining for you,
Just remember, others are blue.

Always look for the bright side,
Start the day on the right side;
You'll find life worthwhile,
Learn to wear a smile,
Keep your sunny side up!
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment