Grandma Gertie always said there's not a savory dish that can't be made tastier by just a touch of tarragon.

Tsunami and Me

Tsunami and Me
too big to escape now....

Thursday, January 2, 2014

May I Have a Word?


Recently a writer friend posted on Facebook that rather than make a resolution each year, she chooses one word that she keeps focused on each day as she turns the pages of her desk calendar. My calendar this year, a gift from another writer friend, is a Downton Abbey one...and I can't think of one special word that will relate to the Crawley family and British country manor house trivia I'll be treated to throughout 2014. I look forward to Season 4 of this quirky soap opera for adults...and welcome time traveling to1922 in Edwardian England.

I also look forward to is the possibility I'll be able to celebrate the beginning of 2015 in my home state of California. I grew up in Los Angeles, and eventually settled in Long Beach, where I lived for 32 years. I left  in 1987 when I joined the Peace Corps. Since that time I've lived in Belize City, Belize; Antigua, Guatemala; San Juan de la Maguana, Dominican Republic; Victoria, Seychelles; North Little Rock, Arkansas; Silver Spring, Maryland; and now, of course, in Arden, outside of Colville, Washington. But my heart is still in Southern California, especially when these long northeastern Washington winters roll around.

For the past seven and a half years I've been serving on the Washington State Medical Quality Assurance Commission, appointed by Governor Christine Gregoire. My second term as a public member with this Commission ends this coming June. Consequently, there's no reason for me to remain here. I'm putting my house up for sale in the spring.

So this year, I believe my best choice for a word is "California." To me it's home. Always has been, always will be. I hope each day to move forward with plans to move...clean out a drawer, a cupboard, a shelf. Sort through old business papers and shred. Decide what to do with my late husband's dozens of paintings. Choose what books to keep and which to donate. The tasks to prepare to move, after nearly 10 years here, sometimes seem overwhelming. But I've decided that if I keep the goal in mind, I can fly through the to-do list. I'll adopt the attitude of my favorite Downton Abbey character, Anna Bates, and keep plugging steadily ahead.

California, here I come.




Sweet Home California
Home Sweet Home...

3 comments:

  1. Wow! California sounds wonderful! Best wishes as you journey towards your new goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, wishing you the very best as you tackle the details of packing up and returning home. I am downsizing and ready to give up a lot of 'stuff'. I despise winter and I think California sounds pleasant. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you do have a big job ahead but it's going to feel so good to get rid of "stuff." I plan to do some of that this year myself and I don't even plan to move! lol And you'll love being back home again...slow and easy and you'll get it done. :-)

    ReplyDelete