'I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.' "--Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
This morning I scrolled through several websites listing calls for anthology submissions. Then, while I weeded and sowed zinnia seeds, I came up with ideas for half a dozen projects:
- A short story about a magician's rabbit who can carry messages back and forth to The Great Beyond.
- An essay about how my temperament calmed down in the tropics.
- A confessional on how AlAnon helped me deal with my first husband's alcoholism.
- A short story about a woman's regrets on missing out on motherhood.
- A story from my father's point of view, when he was torpedoed in WWII.
- A narrative essay on the running gin game I had with my late husband.